Being responsible for worker safety is a tough job. Safety managers and associated decision-makers have to take into account a multitude of considerations when selecting Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for their workforce:
What types of procedures are employed during a given task? What types of hazards will an end-user be exposed to? What types of potential accidents or exposure scenarios could occur from this task?
They have to assess all of these risk factors in order to identify the level of protection required from the PPE. Added to this, there are practical factors, such as the size range required to fit the workforce. Once the PPE parameters are fully identified, specifiers are then faced with the task of selecting the right kit.
PPE can include items designed for ocular, respiratory, hand, foot, garment/clothing, or fall protection, to name but a few examples. There are numerous safety solution providers on the market, with each making unique products that may or may not be compatible with other critical PPE ensemble items.
The issue of compatibility becomes particularly important where tasks involve hazardous chemicals or other procedural hazards. In these circumstances, different chemical protective items should ideally combine to form a compatible chemical protective system: so correct selection is a critical element in providing workers with optimum protection.
However, sourcing different pieces of PPE from different suppliers can be time-consuming and technically complex. A prime example is the matching of protective garments with gloves. In addition to meeting regulatory requirements, specifiers need to accommodate practical considerations. The need to supply multiple sizes may require compromise in terms of wearer comfort, for example. Indeed, it may also lead to the selection of a coverall that offers the wearer a higher level of protection than their gloves – or vice versa.
A helping hand
DuPont Personal Protection has taken steps to address the challenges facing busy specifiers and make the selection of a compatible chemical protective system much simpler, for both PPE distribution partners and end-users alike.
The recent introduction of Tychem® gloves and other accessory products, such as Tychem® tape and glove rings, is one example. Tyvek® chemical protective clothing has long been recognized for its reliability against hazardous organic and inorganic chemical exposure. The new gloves offer perfect compatibility with DuPont coveralls to create a Trusted Chemical System™, giving specifiers and wearers assurance that the appropriate level of protection for their chemical exposure risk extends right to their fingertips.
The gloves range covers most chemical protection needs and a wide range of applications: such as tasks where solvents are present, laboratory and small parts handling, or working in wet environments. It has been developed to give customers full confidence in the products they select. Offering a clear and concise set of options makes it much easier to choose the correct glove for the application and match it to the coverall. With glove and coverall sourced from the same manufacturer, DuPont offers a high level of compatibility: giving assurance that the optimum level of protection from chemical hazards is being provided for the hands as well as the body.
Dupont offers a range of gloves, suitable for use within a number of different environments.
- Tychem® NT420 – a very resistant disposable glove and barrier to most oil grease and hydrocarbons. Perfect for jobs requiring chemical protection, while keeping dexterity. Recommended for food contact, laboratory and small parts handling.
- Tychem® NT470 –Bisque finish allows secure handling in wet and dry conditions. Unlined, with an ergonomic design to maximise comfort.
- Tychem® NT480 – Bisque finish allows secure handling in wet and dry consistents Flock-lined with an ergonomic design for enhanced comfort.
- Tychem® NP530 – double-dipped Neoprene over natural rubber for dexterity. Resistant to a wide range of chemicals.
- Tychem® NP560 – Resistant to a wide range of chemicals, including acids, caustics, solvents, greases and oil. Suitable for heavy-duty work or applications involving prolonged exposure to the presence of solvent.
- Tychem® NP570CT – ideal protection where tasks present the dual risk of chemical exposure and cut. Provides level 5 cut protection and first-class defence against acids, caustics, solvents, grease and oil.
To help customers find the right glove and coverall combination to meet their protection requirement, Greenham works closely with DuPont to provide reassurance about garment and glove compatibility.
Disclaimer: The information provided through Greenham Pulse is for general guidance only and is not legal advice. Greenham Pulse is not a substitute for Health and Safety consultancy. You should seek independent advice about any legal matter.